Translate

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Inchworm Song



Although not written by Hans Christian Andersen, this little highly influential song, carries a theme that comes from his pages.

The Snow Queen herself, represents cold Reason.

It was written by Frank Loesser. The composer received a letter of appreciation:

“...It is simple, yet it is so intricate, the harmony is perfect and the counterpoint — well it just gives me a headache when I think of what it would be like to try to write it..."

It has been recorded by many singers, including Paul McCartney, and the Muppets.

David Bowie showed high appreciation also. Here’s what he once said about the song:

“‘Inchworm’ – which was sung by Danny Kaye in the 1952 movie Hans Christian Andersen – was a big influence on ‘Ashes To Ashes‘. I loved it as a kid and it’s stayed with me forever. I keep going back to it. You wouldn’t believe the amount of my songs that have sort of spun off that one song. Not that you’d really recognize it. Something like ‘Ashes to Ashes’ wouldn’t have happened if it hadn’t have been for ‘Inchworm’. There’s a child’s nursery rhyme element in it, and there’s something so sad and mournful and poignant about it. It kept bringing me back to the feelings of those pure thoughts of sadness that you have as a child, and how they’re so identifiable even when you’re an adult. There’s a connection that can be made between being a somewhat lost five-year old and feeling a little abandoned and having the same feeling when you’re in your twenties. And it was that song that did that for me.”

No comments: